Preventive dental hygiene is important for good oral health
Prevention is always better than treatment. By actively preventing disease and decay through regular oral hygiene you can maintain a healthy, beautiful smile. Effective prevention can also help avoid costly dental treatments in the future. To remove decay, restore teeth and treat gum disease, regular prevention is truly your best investment.
How important is oral health?
Your mouth is naturally full of bacteria. Most of it is harmless, and regular brushing, flossing and professional care and your body’s immune system is usually all that’s required to keep it under control.
If, however, you don’t take preventive steps to maintain good oral health, the bacteria can build up to more problematic levels that may cause infections, decay, gum disease and pain.
Clean teeth, healthy gums, happy mouth
No matter how well you brush and floss at home, you need the services of a dental hygienist to keep your oral health at its best. Your hygienist is key member of your oral hygiene care team.
There’s a lot more to an oral hygiene appointment than you may think. During your appointment your hygienist in Red Deer, AB T4N 6V7 will:
- Review your chart and history.
- Check in with you about any oral health or medical problems you may have.
- Examine your mouth, including your tongue, gums and teeth.
- Probe to measure the attachment of your gums to your teeth.
- Take x-rays if prescribed.
- Remove any plaque or tartar that may have built up on your teeth between appointments (scaling).
- Polish your teeth.
- Apply fluoride, desensitizing agents or sealants if required.
But that’s not all. Your hygienist is also your oral health coach who will:
- Customize an oral care program for you if required.
- Keep you informed about any issues he or she sees with your current oral health.
- Advise you on matters such as nutrition, brushing and flossing techniques, plaque control and the use of oral care products.
Take control of your oral hygiene
By being an educated, involved participant in your oral health care program you can take an active role in helping to keep your teeth strong, healthy and as beautiful as they can be. Schedule your checkup today at our office in Red Deer, AB T4N 6V7.