Night Guards in Red Deer, AB
Night guards in Red Deer, AB T4N 6V7 can help. Nighttime grinding can be incredibly destructive for teeth, but if you are a grinder, it’s almost impossible for you to stop on your own – after all, you are asleep! It’s also common to be unaware of your grinding…for the same reason. This is why it’s so important to schedule regular dental check-ups.
Over time, habitual teeth grinding (bruxism) can cause tiny cracks in your teeth’s enamel to form. Enamel is your teeth’s armour. If it is breached, you can be more prone to fracture, decay and infection.
Teeth grinding can also cause:
What are the signs of teeth grinding?
While you probably won’t notice teeth grinding while it is happening, there are some signs and symptoms you can watch for:
- Sensitivity to hot or cold foods and liquids.
- Jaw or facial pain, especially upon awakening.
- Worn, chipped, flattened, fractured or loose teeth.
- Tired or aching jaw muscles.
- Tooth indentations on your tongue in the morning.
- Ear pain that’s not caused by a problem with your ear.
- Bites or damage to the insides of your cheeks.
- In some cases, teeth grinding can be so severe a sleep partner will notice it.
A night guard does more than just protect your teeth
While halting the damaging impacts of teeth grinding alone is worth the investment, a dental night guard actually has three functions:
- It protects your teeth from each other while you sleep.
- It puts your jaw in a more optimal position so your jaw and facial muscles can relax and often reduces or eliminates headaches.
- It helps your dentist discover what’s causing your teeth grinding.
The material used to make your night guard softens the blow of teeth against teeth. Essentially, you’ll be wearing out the plastic instead of your smile. It’s also precisely adjusted to align your teeth properly. Once your teeth meet in their optimal position, your jaw muscles can relax. Once your muscles have relaxed, Dr. Sandhu have a better chance of discovering why you are grinding in the first place.
The ultimate result is comfort. Many patients report that once they get used to their night guards they can’t sleep without them. Dental treatment options to correct jaw or bite problems can also help to achieve long-term comfort.
Keep your teeth strong
A dental night guard is a small investment that can help save a big asset – your teeth. One of the best strategies to maintain good oral health for a lifetime is to keep as many natural teeth as you can healthy, whole and intact. By preventing the damaging effects of unconscious teeth grinding, this valuable tool can help protect your smile and bring harmony back to your bite.
If you would like to learn more, please schedule a consultation at our clinic in Red Deer, AB T4N 6V7 today.